Mandrake's Magic Club
|Country:||USA / English|
It is a connection between Mandrake's Magic Club and the "Mandrake the Magician" radio serial from 1940-1942. Taystee Bread, the sponsor for the radio serial had a similar club, but the logo and name are different. It is also a time gap between the "Taystee Bread" club in 1941 and "Mandrake's Magic Club" from 1948. From May 1947 WCRS in Greenwood South Carolina aired a Mandrake radio serial sponsored by Diximaid Ice Cream, and and may have been the firm behind the Mandrake's Magic Club. It is unknown if the radio serial was a replay of the original serial and if it still was aired in 1948.
Mandrake's Magic Coin
The similarity between "Mandrake's Magic Coin" and the "Mandrake's Magic Club" logo indicates that this might be part of the membereship package.
At Forrest's Token Page it is suggested that the coin shell is:
- from the "Taystee Bread" club in 1941
- from one of the "Mandrake the Magician" Magic Kit from 1949 to 1957.
- a candy premium put out by the Suchard Chocolate company.
- Kuethe, F. William Jr. Magicians' Tokens And Related Items - An Illustrated check-list with estimates of values and rarities, TAMS Journal, Volume 18, Number 5, October 1978, (Part Two):
- Magic Token-Mandrake the Magician-MT236-Shell coin-Suchard Chocolate Premium-
- Magic Token-Mandrake the Magician-MT236 This was a shell coin made by S.S. Adams, as part of a Suchard Chocolate magic kit done in the early 1940s. This would fit over a US dime, and a magnet in a block of wood would pick up the shell, revealing the dime.
- Extras Limited Minting, Promotional Item, Rare
Mandrake the Magician over WCRS
|Team Ups, Mandrake outside the comic strips, Varia|
1939 Movie Serial • 1940 Radio Show • 1954 TV Pilot • 1967 Killing vs Mandrake • 1979 TV Movie • Unproduced and Unfinished Films • Musical: Mandrake the Magician and the Enchantress • Prose Stories • Defenders of the Earth • Comics on TV • Pop Art