The Flame Pearls Pt.1: Attempted Assassination
|The Flame Pearls Pt.1:|
|Start date:||April 21th, 1940|
|End date:||May 26th, 1940|
|# of strips:||6 (6 weeks)|
|Preceded by:||"The Theatre Mysteries"|
|Followed by:||"The Flame Pearls Pt.2:|
At a houseparty in the home of the wealthy Colonel Barton, Mandrake entertains the guests. The Colonel tells Mandrake that he soon will be leaving on a scientific expedition to the South Pacific, looking for flame colored pearls, and he wants Mandrake to join him. Mandrake cannot say no to an adventure and soon he finds himself on the yacht Argos and the search for the Flame Pearls begins.
But Captain Beeker and First Mate Sims are making plans on how they can get their hands on the Flame Pearls themselves.
Mandrake and Colonel Barton feel like some underwater exploring. Underwater, Mandrake is attacked by a gigantic octopus and at the same time Beeker and Sims knots Mandrake's air-line...
- Colonel Barton
- June, daughter of Colonel Barton.
- Captain Beeker, on Argos.
- First Mate Sims, on Argos.
- South Pacific
- S.S.Argos, Colonel Barton's yacht.
Behind the scenes
- The main title for this story is taken from the strip of April 14th, 1940 (Next Week: "The Flame Pearls"), while the sub title is lifted from the plot.
- The "Flame Pearls" story is a retelling of an ancient Greek myth; "Jason and the Golden Fleece".
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "Tulihelmien mysteeri (I); Attentaatti", Mustanaamio #3 (1992)
- "Ildperlene I, Attentatet", Fantomet #4 (1992)
- "Eldpärlorna", Allers Familj-Journal
- "Mysteriet med eldpärlorna del 1: Attentatet", Fantomen #23 (1991)
- "Plameni biseri", Biblioteka Nostalgija #8 (1988)