The Flame Pearls Pt.2: Magnetic Island
|The Flame Pearls Pt.2:|
|Start date:||June 2nd, 1940|
|End date:||August 11th, 1940|
|# of strips:||11 (11 weeks)|
|Preceded by:||"The Flame Pearls Pt.1:|
|Followed by:||"The Flame Pearls Pt.3:|
The Three Cows"
Mandrake is on a scientific expedition to the South Pacific, looking for flame colored pearls. A tropical storm breaks suddely, the compass going wild, and the Argos is stedily pulled side-ways towards a mysterious magnetic island. Mandrake, Lothar, June and Colonel Barton reach the shore safely on an rubber raft.
On the mysterious floating magnetic island they found 60 men, survivors from ship-wrecks. All enslaved by the escpade murderer, King Cy, and his henchman Jasper.
- Colonel Barton
- June, daughter of Colonel Barton.
- Captain Beeker, on Argos.
- King Cy, giant ruler of the mysterious Magnetic Island.
- "Jasper" King Cy's henchman.
- South Pacific
- A floating magnetic island.
- S.S.Argos, Colonel Barton's yacht.
Behind the scenes
- The main title for this story is taken from the strip of April 14th, 1940 (Next Week: "The Flame Pearls"), while the sub title is lifted from the plot.
- The "Flame Pearls" story is a retelling of an ancient Greek myth; "Jason and the Golden Fleece".
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "A Ilha Magnética", Novo Gibi #1811 (1953)
- "Tulihelmien mysteeri (II): Magneettisaari", Mustanaamio #5 (1992)
- "Ildperlene II, Magnetøya", Fantomet #5 (1992)
- "La Isla Magnetica", Merlin el Mago Moderno #15 (194?)
- "Eldpärlorna", Allers Familj-Journal
- "Mysteriet med eldpärlorna del 2: Magnetön", Fantomen #26 (1991)
- King Comics (1941)
- "Plameni biseri", Biblioteka Nostalgija #8 (1988)