|Start date:||December 8th, 1958|
|End date:||March 14th, 1959|
|# of strips:||84 (14 weeks)|
|Preceded by:||"The Invisible Bandit"|
|Followed by:||"Queen of the Cats"|
For the first time in ten years the train stop at Gynt in the remote Alps. A passenger steps out, Lenore, Mandrake's famed explorer sister.
Overlooking the village is a mysterious castle, the home of "The Dollmaker", who turns people into tiny living dolls. When she starts asking more about the Dollmaker, she is ordered to leave Gynt.
Lenore writes a letter to his brother and telling about the mysterious Dollmaker, and that she is eager to find out a bit more before she leaves the town. With the letter in her pocket, she goes out to take a closer look at the mysterious castle. Through a window she sees something unexpected, and take some pictures with her camera. She is discovered by some guards but manages to hide. She completes the letter to Mandrake with a lipstick and put the roll of film in the envelope. She manages to give the letter to a passing man before she gets captured.
Mandrake receiving the letter, along with Lothar he goes immediately to the Gynt to help his sister.
- The Dollmaker.
- Hans, cousin of the innkeeper in Gynt.
- Gynt, in the Carpethian Alps.
- New York
Behind the scenes
- The story title is lifted from the plot. The strip of December 8th, 1958 suggests the title (Nex Week: "Doll").
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "no title", Mandrake el Mago #5 (1959)
- no title, Mandrake the Magician #10 (1961 (?))
- "Le sorcier des Carpathes", Mandrake #229 & #230 & #231 & #232 (1969)
- "no title given", Mandrake le Magicien (Collection Clair de lune) Volume 3 - 1957 à 1961 (2012)
- "Lo stregone dei Carpazi", Il Vascello #31 (1960)
- "Lo stregone dei Carpazi", I Classici dell'Avventura #33 (1963)
- "Lo stregone dei Carpazi", Mandrake #109 and #110 (1969)
- "Lo stregone dei Carpazi", Mandrake - New Comics Now #347 (1995)
- "Dukkemakeren", Serie-pocket #151 (1989)
- "Muñecos humanos", Merlin el Mago Moderno #14 and
- "El secreto de los muñecos", Merlin el Mago Moderno #15 (1959)
- "Muñecos humanos", Merlin el Mago Moderno - Album de Lujo #3 and **"El secreto de los muñecos", Merlin el Mago Moderno - Album de Lujo #3 (1959)
- "Dockmakaren", Serie-pressen 1971: #1 & #2 & #3 & 1972 #1 & #2 & #3 & #4 & #5 (1971 - 1972)
- "Dockmakaren", Fantomen #21 (1979)
- "The Dollmaker", Mandrake the Magician #15 (1960)