The Walking Man
|The Walking Man|
(Re-released in 2020)
|Start date:||January 6th, 2003|
|End date:||May 31st, 2003|
|# of strips:||126 (21 weeks)|
|Preceded by:||"Mountain of Mystery"|
|Followed by:||"Lights! Camera! Danger!"|
"The Walking Man" is the 244th Mandrake daily story. The story was written and drawn by Fred Fredericks.
Somehow a metal man from the X Dimension found a portal to our world and is heading southwards south toward the abandoned coal mines. At the hospital Professor Theobold fear that the metal man is an advance man for an invasion of metal men. He asks Mandrake to come to the hospital and said the metal man must be sent back to the X Dimension. The chamber that projected Mandrake and Lothar to the X Dimension no longer exist. But an unfinished version, a portable molecular disintegration chamber, is in his old lab. He said he would write down how to operate it and asked return tomorrow. But the next day Professor Theobold was dead and his notes ended abruptly.
At Professor Theobold's old lab Mandrake and Lothar meet the reporter Jenny Lake and together they started the search for the metal man.
- The Police Chief
- Professor Theobold
- Fran, daughter of Professor Theobold (mentioned only)
- A metal man
- Lloyd, a highway patrolman
- A nurce at the hospital
- A doctor at the hospital
- Paul, a gas-station owner
- Jenny Lake, a reporter
- Cal, owner of Silasville Auto Parts
- The editor, in a newspaper
- New York
- The City Hospital
- The X Dimension (mentioned only)
- Silasville Auto Parts
Behind the scenes
- The title for the story is taken from the strip of January 6, 2003 (Beginning: The Walking Man !).
- Professor Theobold also figures in the 1936 Sundays "Chamber into the X Dimension.
Re-released story in 2020
- Start date: 15 June 2020 / End date: 7 November 2020
This story has been published in the following publications: