The Book of Criminals
|The Book of Criminals|
|Start date:||April 20th, 1992|
|End date:||December 5th, 1992|
|# of strips:||198 (33 weeks)|
|Preceded by:||"The Mirror Mystery"|
|Followed by:||"Narda's Dream"|
The Police Chief phone Mandrake, asking if Mandrake could help the famous writer Mr. Somers with his new book on unusual criminals. Mandrake invited Mr. Somer telling him about the five ganglords "Fatts", "Big Louie", "Crazy Mort", "Gunner" and "Big Red". Then Mandrake guided him through the Rogue's Gallery telling the stories of the Mole, The Clay Camel, The Time Traveller, Octon and Luciphor. When leaving Xanadu Mr. Somers was kidnapped by Luciphor, who want to know what Mandrake had told him. Luciphor removed all memory from Mr. Somers mind and let him go. With help of hypnotic kinetic shock and telepathic projection Mandrake manage to bring back Mr. Somer's memory at the hospital.
While at the Police Chief's office - suddenly a sleeping gas. Five minutes later Mandrake has disappeared, kidnapped by the Cobra. In captivity the Cobra told Mandrake that he had started a new career, to take over all crime gangs in America as he had done with gang of 8. Then a mental battle between Mandrake and his half-brother. Mandrake almost thought he had won the battle but Luciphor manage to escape once more.
- Mr. Somers, a famous writer.
Behind the scenes
- The title for the story is lifted from the plot.
- Theron is 410 years old.
- Thru the centuries Theron had many wives an children. In Mandrake's time two wives; the witch and Princess Eleanora, and two children; Luciphor and Mandrake.
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "Some Unusual Criminals", Diamond Comics Digest - Mandrake #17, #18, #19 and #20 (1994)
- "Some Unusual Criminals", Diamond Comics Digest - Mandrake #66 (1998) missing first part
- "Luciphor, detto Cobra o Octon", Mandrake - New Comics Now #367 (1997)