Rex (The Living Fossil)
|Start date:||November 29, 1953|
|End date:||April 4, 1954|
|# of strips:||19 (19 weeks)|
|Preceded by:||"Mandrake Plays Cupid"|
|Followed by:||"The Mountain that Walked"|
Dr. Gale have an experimental farm in centrel Africa. His work was opposite to improve breeds, he tried to breed back - to breed the ancestors of modern animals. Some years ago he discovered that placing eggs from small lizards under a ray one minute speed up the process. One night he forgot an egg under the ray. Next morning something had hatched from the egg, escaped from the farm and vanished in the rich swamplands.
Now Mandrake, Lothar and Narda are on a hunting safari nearby the swamplands. They soon discovered what creature that had been hatched at Dr. Gale's farm years ago, a Tyrannosaurus Rex.
Mandrake manage to catch the living fossil and brought the dinosaur to New York.
- Dr. Gale, runs an experimental farm.
- Mr. Brent, a writer.
- Jake, a man in a boat.
- New York City
Behind the scenes
- The story title is from the strip of November 27, 1953 (Next Week = "Rex").
Note: At the deepwoods.org index the title for this story is "Rex (The Living Fossil)".
- Dr. Gale is named Dr. Dale at the first page of the story.
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "??", Cinemisterio #211 (1954)
- "Monstruos de Otros Tiempos", El Libro de la Historieta #19 (1959 or 1960)
- "Elävä fossiili", Mustanaamio #2 (2000)
- "Le fossile vivant",Spécial Mandrake #68 (1969)
- "Il fossile vivente", Super Albo - Mandrake #76 (1964)
- "Il fossile vivente", Mandrake - New Comics Now #217 and #257 (1988 and 1989)
- "?", Mandrake el Mago #83 (1972)
- "Det levende fossilet", Fantomet #25 (1999)
- "A Fuga do Monstro", Condor Popular Vol. 1 N.° 10 (1955)
- "Rex (El Fósil Viviente)", Mandrake el Mago: Sundays pages 1953–1956 (Dolmen Editorial) (2020)
- "Den levande fossilen", Fantomen #25 (1999)
- "Rex (The Living Fossil)", Mandrake Sundays #6 (1989)