The Flame Pearls Pt.8: The Hungry Isles
|The Flame Pearls Pt.8:|
The Hungry Isles
|Start date:||November 9th, 1941|
|End date:||April 12th, 1942|
|# of strips:||23 (23 weeks)|
|Preceded by:||"The Flame Pearls Pt.7:|
Land of the Giants"
Mandrake is on a scientific expedition to the South Pacific, looking for flame colored pearls. Now they have reached a string of small islands, known as The Hungry Isles. Then they are attacked and captured by pirates. Finaly, passing through a great cirkle of fire that burns on the water and reach a small floating island, the Flame Pearl Island.
- Colonel Barton
- June, daughter of Colonel Barton.
- Captain Beeker, on Argos.
- The pirate leader.
- Davey Jones, mentioned only in an incantation.
- South Pacific.
- The Hungry Isles.
- The Burning Water.
- Flame Pearl Island, a small floating isle.
- S.S.Argos, Colonel Barton's yacht.
Behind the scenes
- The main title for this story is taken from the strip of April 14th, 1940 (Next Week: "The Flame Pearls"), while the sub title is lifted from the plot.
- The "Flame Pearls" story is a retelling of an ancient Greek myth; "Jason and the Golden Fleece".
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "Mandrake enfrenta os piratas", Novo Gibi #1816 (1953)
- "Tulihelmien mysteeri (VIII): Palavaa vettä", Mustanaamio #21 (1992)
- "Det brennende vannet", Fantomet #21 (1992)
- "Las Perlas Color de Fuego", Merlin el Mago Moderno #18 (194?)
- "Eldpärlorna", Allers Familj-Journal
- "Mysteriet med eldpärlorna del 7: Det brinnande vattnet", Fantomen #17 (1992)
- King Comics (1943)