|Start date:||May 13, 1985|
|End date:||September 21, 1985|
|# of strips:||114 (19 weeks)|
|Preceded by:||"The Supercomputer"|
|Followed by:||"The Hijacking"|
One fine day, Mandrake and Narda, along with Lothar and Karma, go sailing. Thay have a swell time. When all of sudden, Count Reni, who is a real devil in disguise, spots them. He invites them to lunch, whitch they refuse. Thwarted, he deviously lures them on his boat and drugs them.
They awaken to a confused reality. Mandrake and Lothar are left asail mid-sea and Narda and Karma are locked in a room on the boat. Soon the ladies are put in large bird cages on Renis Isle. Meanwhile, Mandrake and Lothar have surmounth various obstacles, like sharks etc. When they finaly reach their destination, they are shocked to find their companions in cages.
Now Count Reni puts them to various tests, which only if they pass, can free Narda and Karma.
- Count Reni, a mad filmmaker who wants to make a "real" film.
- Pedro, Count Reni's man.
- Axel, Count Reni's man.
- Reni Isle
- Reni Rex, Count Reni's yacht.
Behind the scenes
- The story title is taken from the strip of May 13, 1985 (Beginning: Reni's Place).
- At the deepwoods.org index the title for this story is "Island of the Mad Count".
- Mandrake use kinetic magic.
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "A Ilha do Conde Reni", Mandrake Extra #4 (1987)
- "Mystinen saari", Mustanaamio #14 (1990)
- "The Trials of Valour", Indrajal Comics Vol. 23 No. 32 and Vol. 23 No. 33 (1986)
- "The Horrible Test" Diamond Comics Digest - Mandrake #6 (1992)
- "The Horrible Test" Diamond Comics Digest - Mandrake #53 (1997)
- "Il conte Reni", Mandrake - New Comics Now #186 (1986)
- "La Isla del Conde Reni", Mandrake #46 (2000)
- "Den galne grevens ö", Fantomen #1 (1990)
- "Zatočenice grofa Renija", Mandrak magazin #7 (1989)