Pursuit of the Cobra
|Pursuit of the Cobra|
(Re-released in 2013)
|Start date:||October 30th, 1995|
|End date:||February 10th, 1996|
|# of strips:||90 (15 weeks)|
|Preceded by:||"General Buffo - Druglord"|
|Followed by:||"The S. S. Div."|
"Pursuit of the Cobra" is the 220th Mandrake daily story. The story was written by Lee Falk and drawn by Fred Fredericks. A re-release was published by KFS from July 8, 2013 after the interruption of the on-going 266th Mandrake daily story ("Vanguard of Shadows").
Mandrake tells the story of his childhood at the College of Magic, and his final battle with his half brother Luciphor - aka The Cobra - aka Octon the secret leader of the crime gang "8". At the end Mandrake knocked him down and squeezed out his mental powers, like water from a sponge. Luciphor ended up in jail and now two years have gone.
- "Groucho", Luciphor in disguise.
Behind the scenes
- The story title is taken from the strip of January 22, 1996 (Beginning: "Pursuit of Cobra").
- For those who came in late, two strips. Then 19 strips retelling the story of Luciphor.
- The story ending with Monday: Answer, referring to an epilogie in the first strip of the next story, "The S. S. Div."
- Luciphor is 10 years older than Mandrake.
- When Luciphor tried to steal the the treasure at CM, he almost killed Mandrake, Theron blazed with fire, hurled a mental blow, and told Luciphor to leave the CM.
- Luciphor leaves the sign of 8 at the scene of the crime.
- At CM there is a diamond mine.
- Theron is 408 years old.
- Mandrake left CM when he was 19 years old.
Easter Eggs – Cameos
- A Phantom mask in a toy shop (January ?? and 27, 1996).
- Man in the barber chair read the newspaper Jimmy Wells Found (January 29, 1996).
Re-released story in 2013
- Start date: 8 July 2013 / End date: 19 October 2013
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "Luciphor", Mustanaamio #4 (2002)
- "Luciphor", Fantomet #4 (2002)
- "Luciphor", Fantomen #4 (2002)