|Start date:||April 19th, 1942|
|End date:||November 1st, 1942|
|# of strips:||29 (29 weeks)|
|Preceded by:|| "The Flame Pearls Pt.8:|
The Hungry Isles"
|Followed by:||"Mystery of the Girls with Red Hair"|
Mandrake returning from a scientific expedition to the South Pacific, looking for flame colored pearls. Now they have reached a small outpost island of Pacifica, a group of American-owned islands. Approaching the outpost isle there is a strange lifeless silence, where everything lies in ruins. The Argos travelers have been far away from civilization, and know nothing of the colossal conflict that has shaken the Earth..
- Colonel Barton
- June, daughter of Colonel Barton.
- Major Gallant, the marine commandant at Pacifica.
- Private Jimmy, a marine.
- The Jap naval chief.
- The Jap commander.
- South Pacific.
- Pacifica Island.
- S.S.Argos, Colonel Barton's yacht.
Behind the scenes
- At the deepwoods.org index the title for this story is "Pacifica", which is lifted from the plot.
- The strip of October 25 ends with: And so the Argos leaves Pacifica !, and indicates the end of the story. The strip of November 1 is more like a filler page, where our friends think of "how nice it is to be back in the safe big city again" versus how many risks that pop up in a big city.
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "L'attaque du Pacifique" & "Une journée en ville", L'âge d'or Mandrake #4 (1980)
- "L'attacco nel Pacifico" & "Una giornata in citta", L'epoca d'oro di Mandrake #4 (1980)
- King Comics (1943-1944)
- "Bitka na Pacifiku", Biblioteka Nostalgija #8 (1988)