Mandrake in Cockaigne
|Mandrake in Cockaigne|
|Start date:||May 15th, 1939|
|End date:||September 2nd, 1939|
|# of strips:||96 (16 weeks)|
|Preceded by:||"The Deep South"|
|Followed by:||"Mandrake in North Africa"|
Many years ago, in far-off Cockaigne, the good Queen Isabel died. Mourning by her nation and her husbond, King Karl, and leaving two children, the infant Narda and young Prince Segrid. A few years passed, in his loneliness, King Karl fell in love with a beatiful commoner. He married her, at the price of his throne. He was the last King of Cockaigne, now under parlamentary rule.
Now Prince Segrid has forced Princess Narda to engagement to the rich and powerful Avery, Duke of Hectares. In return the Duke has agreed to help Segrid to regain the throne, but Narda disappears the night before the wedding.
Mandrake and Lothar enter S.S. Tyronus and later a plane and finaly reach Cockaigne. Avery manage to find Narda and throw Mandrake into his prison. With some help from Segrid, Mandrake escaped and disguised as the best man Mandrake manage to swipe Narda at the altar.
At the airport Mandrake and Narda plan to be married on the plain. But in the air Segrid reached Narda by radio, ex-King Karl had a severe relapse and was very ill and Narda had to return.
- Karl, Ex King of Cockaigne and father of Narda and Segrid.
- Oliver, one of the agents of Avery.
- S.S. Tyronus, ship New York - Europe.
- Miss Bonn, Narda's assumen name when she worked as a sales girl at Notion Counter.
- Mr. Strudel, the proprietor at the Crown Department Store in Cockaigne.
- Count Brumph, best man of Avery.
- New York
- Hotel Royal, in Cockaigne.
- Notions Counter, at the Crown Department Store.
Behind the scenes
- The title for the story is taken from the plot.
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "Mandrake Defeats the Duke", The Supercomic Series #30 (1950)
- "O Casamento de Narda", Mandrake #67 (1962)
- "O Casamento de Narda", Mandrake #237 (1975)
- "O Casamento de Narda", Mandrake Coleção #10 (1990)
- "Le mariage retardé", Aventures et Mystère #94 (1949)
- "Mariage à suprise", Spécial Mandrake #12 (1964)
- "Mariage à surprise", Mandrake le Magicien - L'intégrale 5 (Soleil) (1994)
- "Matrimonio a Cockaigne", Super Albo - Mandrake #96 (1964)
- "Matrimonio a Cockaigne" & "La sposa rapita", Mandrake #22 and #23 (Comics Stars in the World 1978)
- "Matrimonio a Cockaigne", Mandrake - New Comics Now #148 (1985)
- "Matrimonio a Cockaigne", Mandrake 15 (Comic Art) (1992)
- "Matrimonio a Cockaigne", Mandrake il mago Volume 2 (2015)
- "Matrimonio a Cockaigne" & "La sposa rapita", Mandrake #22 and #23 (Comics Stars in the World 1978) note: Italian text.
- "Mandrake in Cockaigne", Mandrake the Magician #70, Mandrake the Magician #71 and Mandrake the Magician #72 (1954)
- "Matrimonio en Cockaigne", Grandes Clásicos de los Comics del Pasado #36- Mandrake #11 (1986 ?)
- "no title", The Official Mandrake Annual #1 (1989)