City in the Deep
|City in the Deep|
|Start date:||February 19, 1956|
|End date:||June 3, 1956|
|# of strips:||16 (16 weeks)|
|Preceded by:||"The Castaway"|
|Followed by:||"Witchmen's Peak"|
Part of Sir Harry's work on the around-the-world cruise on the "Ocean Wind" is to make a profil of the sea bottom. Using sonic soundings they getting echoes from the erc layer. The moving phantom sea bottom is one of the world's mysteries that Sir Harry hope to solve. In the newbuilt seamobile Mandrake, Lothar and Sir Harry going down to have a look at the mysterious layer.
- Sir Harry, one of the world's richest men - hunter, sportsman, collector..
- Captain on the yacht
- At sea
- Mu (mentioned only)
- The underwater city, thousand of years ago rebels fled the tyrant of Mu and build the city to hide
- S.S. Ocean Wind, Sir Harry's yacht.
- A seamobile, a submarine with belts as a tank
Behind the scenes
- At the deepwoods.org index the title for this story is "City in the Deep", which is lifted from the plot.
- The strip of February 19 is more like a filler page, where our friends think of "how nice it is to be back in the safe big city again" versus how many risks that pop up in a big city. Similar as the last strip of the Pacifica story from 1942.
- Mandrake is a master of many languages.
- The around-the-world cruise on the "Ocean Wind" ends with this story.
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "no title", Mandrake #24 (1957)
- "Mistério no Fundo do Mar", Mandrake #225 (1974)
- "Perigo no Fundo do Mar", Mandrake Coleção #21 (1991)
- "The Underwater City", The Phantom #1 Book 3 (2000)
- "Continente Mu", Il Vascello #40 (1960)
- "Continente "Mu", I Classici dell'Avventura #11 (1962)
- "Il continente Mu", Mandrake #130 (1969)
- "Continente Mu", Mandrake - New Comics Now #274 (1991)
- "O Continente Perdido", Condor Popular Vol. 10 N.° 1 (1957)
- "Staden i djupet", Den vandrande vålnaden #2 (1996)
- "Deniz Altındaki Sır", Mandrake #101 #102 (1976)
- "Deniz Altındaki Sır", Mandrake Albüm #34
- "Deniz Altındaki Sır", Mandrake Albüm #102 #103
- "City in the Deep", Mandrake the Ultimate #1 (1989)